The region No. 007
The district Jericho
The area 35km
The altitude -360m
The latitude & longitude 31 51`N 35 27`E
The description of the region:
Jericho is the oldest residential region in the world. Its age is estimated to be ten of thousands of years old.
It is located in the south part of the depression (?), and it is of high population density, it is and agricultural region (density agricultural by all the year except in the summer time at which the temperature is so high), it contains tens of vegetables species that are consumed fastly by the people, the pesticides and the organic fertilizers are needed to the agriculture in this region. The agriculture occurs in all the year time because the high temperature characterizes this area during the winter. The water reaches this area from the springs that come from the western part of the city (Jerusalem wilderness).
Due to the location of the east part of Jordan Valley, it is full of biodiversity. There are tons of birds’ species that are locally, regionally, globally important. The region of Jordan Valley is a border region that is currently under the control of the Israeli military.
The animals of this region:
Caracal, lynx, mongoose, the wolf, and the Hystrix can be found in this region.
The birds of this region:
There are tons of bird species that nest on the mountains located in the northwestern part of the city. Lesser Kestrel, White Stork, Black Stork, and Honey Buzzerd exist in large numbers during migration. There is also some species of Sand Partrige that breed in this area. Tawny Owl is a resident bird in the center of Jericho city. Lapwing and Barbary Falcon reside in the southeastern part of Jericho City.
The negative effects:
- Pesticide use harms species living in the region, especially Lesser Kestrel and some raptor species
- The density hunting in the region for some species and the unjust hunting of animals, especially for the raptors
- Tourism: thousands of tourists visit this area annually affecting the wildlife, especially the emigrated and the resident birds
- Overuse of water resources decreases water surfaces suitable for migrated birds during the winter
The protection procedures:
- Encouraging organic agriculture
- The regulation of hunting
- Complete a comprehensive survey of the region in order to know more information about the condition of wildlife species living in this area
- Regulation of land use
- Regulation of water usage